KNOPPIX 6.2.1 / ADRIANE 1.2 - Live CD / DVD
"Microknoppix" is a complete rewrite of the KNOPPIX boot system from version 60 and up, with the following features:
- High compatibility with its Debian base: Aside from configuration files, nothing gets changed in Debians standard installation.
- Accellerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast.
- LXDE is used as graphical environment, which is a very slim and fast desktop with extremely short starttime and low resource requirements. Because of its GTK2 base, LXDE works together nicely with screenreader Orca.
- Amount of installed software has been greatly reduced in this first CD-version, so that custom remasters based on CD are possible again. On the DVD edition, KDE4 and Gnome with many applications originating from these popular desktops are available.
- Network configuration is being handled by NetworkManager with nm-applet in graphics mode, and textual GUIs in textmode (compatible to Debians /etc/network/interfaces specification).
- A persistent image for saving personal settings and additionally installed programs, KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img, is supported on the boot device, optionally encrypted with AES/256bit. In general, installation as live system on flash disk is recommended.
The current version has been completely updated from Debian/"Lenny", "Testing" and "Unstable", and uses Kernel 22.214.171.124, xorg 7.5 for supporting currentmost computer hardware.
A.D.R.I.A.N.E. (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment) is a talking menu system, which is supposed to make work and internet access easier for computer beginners, even if they have no sight contact to the computers monitor. A graphical environment with also talking programs and arbitrary magnification using compiz-fusion, is another option.
CD / USB Versions - which files do I need?
The current public beta release of KNOPPIX 6.2.1 CD and DVD is available in different variants for download at the Knoppix-Mirrors.
|KNOPPIX_versionCD-date-DE.iso||KNOPPIX, CD-Version, default language german, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX_versionDVD-date-DE.iso||KNOPPIX, DVD-Version, default language german, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX_versionCD-date-EN.iso||KNOPPIX, CD-Version, default language english, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX_versionDVD-date-EN.iso||KNOPPIX, DVD-Version, default language english, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_versionCD-Datum-DE.iso||KNOPPIX, CD-Version with automatic start of ADRIANE, default language german, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_versionCD-date-EN.iso||KNOPPIX, CD-Version with automatic start of ADRIANE, default language english, ISOfile format|
|*.iso.md5||checksum file (MD5) for |
md5sum for checking CD-image after download
|*.iso.sha1||checksum file (SHA1) for |
sha1sum for checking CD-image after download
|*.iso.*.asc||Digital signature for verifying authenticity of checksum files and images after download|
For burning a CD, only the single .iso file matching your language and version choice, is sufficient.
Additionally, several individual vendors offer readily burned and verified CDs, DVDs and USB-memorysticks saent out via postal service.
Since there are so many different media capacities, there is no readymade image for booting off memorystick available for download. But it is easy to create a bootable USB-stick or flashcard from a running Knoppix system, as described in the next section.
Booting from Flash
In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card, digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the program flash-knoppix can be started from a running Knoppix system. This program installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. Other files on the medium stay intact, since no repartitioning or formatting is done by
After having copied the system to flash, using the persistent Knoppix image (overlay feature), it is possible to also store files permanently in live mode. That way, personal settings and additionally installed programs survive a reboot.
Boot options and controls
Overview of the most important functions. A complete description and listing of shortcuts can be found in the configurations of sbl, orca and compiz-fusion.
|Boot options (can be entered in the startup screen)|
adriane Start ADRIANE with talking text desktop
knoppix Start KNOPPIX with graphical environment
knoppix/adriane acpi=off noapic nolapic pci=bios ...
problem solvers, if computer doesn't start
knoppix testcd Check CD for errors
knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Copy CD content to harddisk
(hda1 or sda1, 1st partition on 1st IDE/SATA harddisk)
and start from there (free CD-rom drive)
knoppix toram Load CD content to memory and start
from there (free CD-rom drive)
|ADRIANE navigation in text mode|
CapsLock + space read current line
CapsLock + arrow up read previous line
CapsLock + arrow down read next line
CapsLock + pageup read from beginning of page to current position
CapsLock + pagedown read from here to end of page
CapsLock + arrow left/right spell charwise
|Navigation with compiz and orca in graphics mode|
Super + mouse wheel Set/scale magnification
Super + l Lock or release magnification area
Super + m small mouse lens
mouse to upper right corner window overview
CapsLock + space start orca preferences
Super = penguin- or "window"-key left
Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix":
Change the upper line
for automatically starting ADRIANE on boot. This is already default in all ADRIANE iso files.
KNOPPIX 6.2.1 / ADRIANE 1.2 beta is available for download from the usual KNOPPIX mirror sites.
Knopper.Net is not responsible for the content of external web pages