Knoppix 7.3.0 / ADRIANE 1.7 (CeBIT) Release
- Version 7.3.0 of Knoppix is based on the usual picks from Debian stable (wheezy) and newer Desktop packages from Debian/testing and Debian/unstable (jessie). It uses kernel 3.13.0 and xorg 7.7 (core 1.15.0) for supporting current computer hardware.
- Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only).
- LibreOffice 4.1.4,
- Gimp 2.8.6,
- Chromium 31.0.1650.63 and Firefox/Iceweasel 26.0 Web Browser with AdBlockPlus 2.4.1 and NoScript 18.104.22.168,
- LXDE (Default) with filemanager PCMANFM 1.1.2, KDE 4.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=kde, DVD version only), GNOME 3.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=gnome, DVD version only).
- Wine version 1.5 for integration of Windows (TM) based programs.
- Virtualbox version 4.3.2 (DVD version only) and qemu-kvm 1.7.0 for (para-)virtualization.
- Linux Kernel 3.13.0 with cloop and aufs.
- Optional integration of the Tor network for anonymously surfing the web (DVD version only).
- Easy Desktop-Export via VNC and RDP for Remote Desktop Viewing under Linux und Windows (especially interesting for teachers),
- SAMBA network volume search & mount utility smbmount-knoppix,
- Possibility to update an existing flashdisk installation of KNOPPIX via flash-knoppix,
- New version of the elinks text web browser, Templates for mail configuration with mutt, automatic page orientation detection in scanning/ocr utility adriane-ocr and keyboard mailing program KARL in ADRIANE Audio-Desktop,
- Experimental support for UEFI-Boot (DVD: 32 and 64bit, CD: only 32bit) after installation on USB flash disk.
A.D.R.I.A.N.E. (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment) is a talking menu system, which is supposed to make work and internet access easier for computer beginners, even if they have no sight contact to the computers monitor. A graphical environment with also talking programs and arbitrary magnification using compiz-fusion, is another option.
Booting from Flash
In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card, digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the program flash-knoppix can be started from a running Knoppix system. This program installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. If desired, the target medium can be partitioned and fornatted, or left in its inistal state, so that existing files stay intact. The KNOPPIX Live System starts and runs about factor 5 faster from USB flash disk than from CD or DVD!
After having copied the system to flash, using the persistent Knoppix image (overlay feature), it is possible to also store files permanently in live mode. That way, personal settings and additionally installed programs survive a reboot.
Boot options and controls
Overview of the most important functions. A complete description and listing of shortcuts can be found in the configurations of sbl, orca and compiz-fusion.
|Boot options (can be entered in the startup screen)|
adriane Start ADRIANE with talking text desktop
knoppix Start KNOPPIX with graphical environment
knoppix64 Same as above, with 64-bit kernel (DVD version only)
knoppix/adriane acpi=off noapic nolapic pci=bios ...
problem solvers, if computer doesn't start
knoppix testcd Check CD for errors
knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 Copy CD content to harddisk
(hda1 or sda1, 1st partition on 1st IDE/SATA harddisk)
and start from there (free CD-rom drive)
knoppix toram Load CD content to memory and start
from there (free CD-rom drive)
|ADRIANE navigation in text mode|
CapsLock + space read current line
CapsLock + arrow up read previous line
CapsLock + arrow down read next line
CapsLock + pageup read from beginning of page to current position
CapsLock + pagedown read from here to end of page
CapsLock + arrow left/right spell charwise
|Navigation with compiz and orca in graphics mode|
Super + mouse wheel Set/scale magnification
Super + l Lock or release magnification area
Super + m small mouse lens
mouse to upper right corner window overview
CapsLock + space start orca preferences
Super = penguin- or "window"-key left
Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix":
Change the upper line
for automatically starting ADRIANE on boot. This is already default in all ADRIANE iso files.
The CeBIT edition of
KNOPPIX 7.3.0 / ADRIANE 1.7 is available
exclusively in the march edition of
Linux-Magazine and at the booth of Medialinx at CeBIT 2014, Hall 6, booth H08.
Knopper.Net is not responsible for the content of external web pages