KNOPPIX 7.4.2 / ADRIANE 1.7 Release
- Version 7.4.2 of KNOPPIX is based on the usual picks from Debian stable (wheezy) and newer Desktop packages from Debian/testing and Debian/unstable (jessie). It uses kernel 3.16.3 and xorg 7.7 (core 1.16.1) for supporting current computer hardware.
- In addition to the 32bit standard kernel, the 64bit version of the same kernel is installed on the DVD edition, supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks. In the DVD version, the bootloader will start the 64bit kernel automatically if a 64bit-capable CPU is detected (if not manually specified otherwise).
- Updated Kernel (3.16.3) und xorg (core 1.16.1),
- Security: Firefox (iceweasel 32.0.3), Chromium (37.0.2062.120), libnss3 (3.17.1) update,
- Gnome desktop starts again using boot option
knoppix desktop=gnome, if supported by graphics card,
- Patch for the
bash-Shell against the "ShellShock" bug in the environment variable parser,
systemd-udev (215) + dbus (1.8.8) for automatic hardware management and autostart of
- Updated: LibreOffice (4.3.2), Gimp (2.8.14), KDE libraries (4.8.4), Network Manager (0.9.10.0-2.1), isc-dhcp Client+Server (4.3.1-2),
- Security updates from Debian testing/updates and stable/updates.
- New: Directly start a program as process 1 instead of
init via boot option
knoppix init=program_name (for example,
knoppix init=/bin/bash or
- Bugfixes 7.4.1 vs. 7.4.0:
- transparency problem (invisible mouse pointer) when using the "write on screen" or "fullscreen zoom" plugin fixed in
speech-dispatcher 0.8 for ADRIANE,
- added boot option "
knoppix mkimage" for auto-creating writable overlay on flash-knoppix-installed USB flash disk, should behave as expected in "read only like DVD" install option,
wxmaxima startable again,
- New in 7.4.0:
- New, experimental version of 3D window manager compiz 0.9.12.0,
- Partly integration of system start and service manager systemd, which is apparently going to be standard in the next version of Debian, with a workaoround in order to keep the quicker, script-based KNOPPIX system start with sysvinit,
- LXDE (Default) with filemanager PCMANFM 1.2.1, KDE 4.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=kde, DVD version only), GNOME 3.8.4 (boot option
knoppix desktop=gnome, DVD version only),
- Wine version 1.7 (git) for integration of Windows (TM) based programs,
- Virtualbox version 4.3.14 (DVD version only) and qemu-kvm 2.0.0 for (para-)virtualization.
- Optional integration of the Tor network for anonymously surfing the web (DVD version only).
- Easy Desktop-Export via VNC and RDP for Remote Desktop Viewing under Linux und Windows (especially interesting for teachers),
- SAMBA network volume search & mount utility smbmount-knoppix,
- Possibility to update an existing flashdisk installation of KNOPPIX via flash-knoppix,
- New version of the elinks text web browser, Templates for mail configuration with mutt, automatic page orientation detection in scanning/ocr utility adriane-ocr and keyboard mailing program KARL in ADRIANE Audio-Desktop,
- bitcoin core 0.9.2.1 for managing Bitcoin wallets (makes only sense on USB flash drives >= 32GB because of the current blockchain size),
- added a tiny "boot only" CD image inside the "KNOPPIX" directory for computers that can only boot from CD, but not from DVD or USB flash drive (please use boot option "knoppix lang=en" if it's booting in german instead of english language by default),
- Experimental support for UEFI-Boot after installation on USB flash disk.
Complete software list: -> DVD (~3500 software packages, over 10GB uncompressed, cloop-compressed to 4GB).
A.D.R.I.A.N.E. (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment) is a talking menu system, which is supposed to make work and internet access easier for computer beginners, even if they have no sight contact to the computers monitor. A graphical environment with also talking programs and arbitrary magnification using compiz-fusion, is another option.
CD / DVD / USB Versions - which files do I need?
The current public beta release of KNOPPIX 7.4.2 DVD is available in different variants for download at the KNOPPIX-Mirrors.
|KNOPPIX_versionDVD-date-DE.iso||KNOPPIX, DVD-Version, default language german, ISOfile format|
|KNOPPIX_versionDVD-date-EN.iso||KNOPPIX, DVD-Version, default language english, ISOfile format|
|*.iso.md5||checksum file (MD5) for |
md5sum for checking CD-image after download
|*.iso.sha1||checksum file (SHA1) for |
sha1sum for checking CD-image after download
|*.iso.*.asc||Digital signature for verifying authenticity of checksum files and images after download|
For burning a CD or DVD, only one single .iso file matching your language and version choice, is sufficient.
Additionally, several independent vendors offer readily burned and verified CDs, DVDs and USB-memorysticks saent out via postal service.
Since there are so many different media capacities, there is no readymade image for booting off memorystick available for download. But it is easy to create a bootable USB-stick or flashcard from a running KNOPPIX system, as described in the next section.
Booting from Flash
In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card, digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the program flash-knoppix can be started from a running KNOPPIX system. This program installs all needed KNOPPIX files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. If desired, the target medium can be partitioned and fornatted, or left in its inistal state, so that existing files stay intact. The KNOPPIX Live System starts and runs about factor 5 faster from USB flash disk than from CD or DVD!
After having copied the system to flash, using the persistent KNOPPIX image (overlay feature) or an additional Linux partition, it is possible to also store files permanently in live mode. That way, personal settings and additionally installed programs survive a reboot.
Update: Computers without DVD drive
The flash-knoppix script since Knoppix 7.4.0 supports on-the-fly conversion of a DVD ISO image for direct flashing of a USB pendrive or disk. By using this, the intermediate step of burning a DVD and booting from it, can be skipped. For burning a CD or DVD, only one single .iso file matching your language and version choice, is sufficient.
For using this feature, just add the name of the .iso file as commandline parameter to flash-knoppix like this:
Boot options and controls
Overview of the most important functions. A complete description and listing of shortcuts can be found in the configurations of sbl, orca and compiz-fusion.
|Boot options (can be entered in the startup screen)|
adriane Start ADRIANE (32bit) with talking text desktop
knoppix Start KNOPPIX (32bit) with graphical environment
knoppix64 Same as above, with 64-bit kernel (DVD version only)
knoppix/adriane acpi=off noapic nolapic pci=bios ...
problem solvers, if computer doesn't start
knoppix testcd Check CD/DVD/flashdisk for errors
knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1 Copy CD content to harddisk
(sda1: 1st partition on 1st SATA harddisk)
and start from there (free CD-rom drive)
knoppix toram Load CD content to memory and start
from there (free CD-rom drive)
|ADRIANE navigation in text mode|
CapsLock + space read current line
CapsLock + arrow up read previous line
CapsLock + arrow down read next line
CapsLock + pageup read from beginning of page to current position
CapsLock + pagedown read from here to end of page
CapsLock + arrow left/right spell charwise
|Navigation with compiz and orca in graphics mode|
Super + mouse wheel Set zoom scale
Super + m small mouse lens
mouse to upper right corner window overview
CapsLock + space start orca preferences (if startet)
Control + Alt + MousebuttonLeft Rotate Desktop cube manually
Super + AltLeft + MousebuttonLeft Comment on screen
Super + AltLeft + k Remove screen comment
Super = penguin- or "window"-key left
Boot options like "adriane" can easily be preset by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix":
Change the upper line
for automatically starting ADRIANE on boot. This is already default in all ADRIANE iso files.
Knopper.Net is not responsible for the content of external web pages